10 useful MLB 09 The Show hitting tips

March 10, 2009

If you have played the new MLB 09 The Show baseball simulation on Legend mode you probably already know how difficult it is to hit. Looking on some popular forums I have found some hitting tips that may be helpful:

1. Move stick up in the zone – Before the pitch, move the left stick directly up in the zone. If the pitch is up, you only need to make slight modifications. If the pitch is out of your zone, bring the left stick down quickly into the zone.

When the left stick is in the neutral position there’s a tendency to chase pitches. But, when you keep the stick up in the zone (before the pitch) you should be able to adjust to all areas.

Try this in batting practice. Look for pitches up in the zone and move the left stick down when the pitches are below your zone. Keep practicing until you master it!

2. Ahead in the count – When ahead in the count, never swing if you are required to move the left stick. Look for middle-in pitches when you are ahead in the count. If you don’t get your pitch, don’t swing.

3. Scheduled starting pitchers – Look at the scheduled starting pitchers that you will be facing in the next game and take some batting practice against that pitcher. This may help you get a better read on the starting pitcher before heading into the real game. In batting practice mode, MLB 09 allows you to face pitchers from all levels including AAA and AA .

4. Have a plan at the plate – Focus in on one part of the zone and recognize the pitch. Learning which pitches NOT to swing at is just as important.

If the pitch is low and away, don’t swing at it. Wait for a better pitch. Read and react to pitches.

5. Don’t be predictable – The CPU seems to learn your tendencies. If you guess low all of the time, you’ll likely end up seeing more stuff high in the zone. The pitcher may start aiming at the sides of the strike zone. If you see a pattern with this, start guessing the sides as well.

6. Wiggle the stick – One suggestion is wiggling the left stick around before the pitch. Move the stick in a clockwise motion or just randomly move the cursor around the screen. This can act as sort of a trigger to help with timing and location.

Most players may agree that it’s difficult to use the left stick if you just leave it in the neutral position and then try to yank it, at the last moment, in the right zone.

7. Be patient – Remember, the pitcher needs three strikes to get you out. Don’t panic when there’s two strikes in the count. In legend mode, you need to be discipline, otherwise the CPU will take advantage of you.

8. Strike to pitch ratio – Take a look at the pitcher’s strike to pitch ratio. If you find that you are facing a pitcher that hardly gives up walks, be a little more aggressive and look for strikes.

9. Know your hot zone – Take note of your hot zones and the pitchers best pitches. Look for pitches in your cold zone and avoid chasing pitches near your hot zone because the pitcher might be nibbling hoping that you chase out of the strike zone. Make the pitcher throw strikes to you.

10. Read strategy guide – Be sure to read the in-game strategy guide. This guide states that the CPU will usually throws a mistake pitch at least once every at bat. There are about 3 to 4 pitches during an average at bat so you might get lucky if you are looking in the right place looking for the right pitch.

{ 1 trackback }

MLB 09 The Show first major league hit
05.02.09 at 9:02 am

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Sportz123.net 03.11.09 at 3:08 am

baseballsimulator.com is wicked! lots of information!! nice finding you on Twitter too

4BAGGER 03.19.09 at 6:41 pm

Thank you for your suggestions and information about baseball sims and MLB 09 the show. MLB 09 The Show is a great video game that really provides some realism and feel about gameplay in the Big Leagues. However, the game limits you to two users which allows you to manage only two teams in a season mode. In otherwords, you can’t manage the remaining 28 teams in the course of a season for lineup changes, switching players from the 40 man roster into the game lineup, optimizing pitching rotations, bullpens etc. Hence, what I am thinking of doing is using a baseball simulator to play the course of the season however, picking any random game in the season’s schedule and playing it on MLB 09 The Show. Upon completion of the video game, take the box score and additional stats from the game and enter them in the baseball simulator to use as if I played it on the computer. Do you know of any simulators that have an edit mode where you can manually (or cut and paste) enter the stats of a single game?

0-d10s-0 03.21.09 at 11:23 pm

appreciate what u wrote on those helpful 10 countdowns… ive neve layed baseball vid games but real life and on video ames are always football madden COD-z cars…..soccer games … ect. but i really got a great feeling when i play this SHOW its great and wish to dominate i need that boost to win in order to be playing … appreciated countdown

Keith 04.15.09 at 5:09 pm

I agree with the stick up in the zone the msot, i do that already, not because i read about it but because it made me feel more confident at the plate. But along with doin that I also most of the time guess the pitch location down in the zone and always guess a fastball even in an 0-2, 1-2, and 2-2 count, so if its not a fastball I know to wait back for any offspeed pitch, and if i guess the location wrong i will always move the stick up prior to the pitch because that elimates most of the lower portion of the strike zone that the pitcher is aiming for, and if the pitcher is aiming down and away or down and in, it will most of the time just foul off. Except when i bat as Pujols, I always guess down-away and away because thats his sweet spot and thats where mostly all pitchers throw to him.

p.s. always look at the pitcher analysis during the game, it will show you where and wut the pitchers were for the last 25 pitches from your opponent, so u can get an idea of his tendencies and wut to look for the most.

lrsd 05.01.09 at 7:12 pm

Great tips guys thanks a lot.. I just got the game and I’ve been having a miserable time hitting.. I like the idea of keeping the stick up in the zone and guessing fastball bottom of the zone.. I’m a give that a try.

I’m just on the regular difficulty and I’m getting housed..

Hopefully this increases my batting average!!

FelliniHexed 07.11.09 at 6:41 pm

Excellent web site and 09 Show tips therein, and great comments, too. I’m a newbie and can’t give any help at all, but am very appreciative for what’s provided here. My wife and I are glued to the game. And yes, she’s awesome and has kicked my ass as many times as I have hers.

MyNameIsBob 07.21.09 at 10:27 pm

Great Tips. I applyed the first tip and knocked 2 grand slams against the phillies in season mode. Tip-when in season mode, TRADE 4 better players or sign off free agents (Manny Ramirez is on free agents)

P.S. Dont u just love hitting against a pitcher whos primary pitch is the knuckle. The ball is like 60 mph and will usually dip rite into the zone

Jimmy 07.22.09 at 3:34 am

great information. I just got the game and can’t score because I haven’t figured out how to control my runners when trying to advance or hold them. Any suggestions as I am about to jump. Thanks for your help.

Jason 08.03.09 at 2:22 am

I was tearing up Rookie level RTTS until about 1/4 of the way through my 4th pro season. All of a sudden, during a 7 series advancement set of goals, I went completely cold. Everything I hit was a weak grounder or pop up. For those 23-25 games, I hit .259 which is well below my usual. I was stumped since I had recently gotten all of my hitting stats up to 99s.

Here’s what I did. I switched from Guess Pitch 1/4 to No Feedback for one game. I played that game and then immediately switched back to Guess Pitch 1/4. I was my old self again & started raking.

I’m not sure if that actually helped or I got out of the slump the game decided I should be in. However, if I start slumping again, I’m darn well gonna try it a second time.

Hope it helps someone else!

danks7 08.25.09 at 5:52 pm

i’m in my first full season in rtts and seems like everything i guess right i either pop up or hit a ground ball. and i’m not sure if its cuz i switch with the power button and contact button or what. when should i use the 2 different buttons?

danks7 08.25.09 at 5:53 pm

i also can’t influence a fly ball to save my life…what’s the deal?

Newton 10.02.09 at 11:34 pm

Here’s my tip: Change the difficulty to the lowest so you don’t have to worry about aiming with the left stick. My batting ability made huge strides after making this change!

mike 10.31.09 at 6:28 pm

If you guess low all the time and move your right stick slightly up…
after a few at bats,you can make a lot of big hits and homers!
I hit a grand slam with big Papi against the Yankees..
It made my at bats a lot better!

Mike 03.08.10 at 6:05 am

Just tried tip #1 in mlb10 and it works like a charm. before this the high fastball visited me in nightmares.

Pitching Manual 04.01.10 at 6:41 pm

Wouldn’t be moving the bat up in the hot zone create a chance for a bunt hit?

ray 06.18.11 at 4:22 pm

Can u move the batter around in the batters box.

southpaw36 06.23.11 at 8:27 am

no you can’t move them around. that would be sweet tho

amagai 07.07.11 at 4:21 pm

My last seasons stats were .560 Batting Average, 104 HR, 99 Doubles, 21 Triples, 40 Walks and 22 Strike outs. Our team went 121 – 41. So, as you see hitting is easy. Set to rookie of course, do not use the analog stick at all unless bunting or while ball is in mid flight. The right stick influences the ball some after it is hit. I find that pitches high and away, or low/middle/in are the best for HR. Although tbh I hit several without even trying.

overplayedjacks 06.10.12 at 3:20 pm

I would like to buy 195897 suns please for 251562

Anna 10.15.15 at 12:05 am

tsdemo Morbi fermentum comdomo nisi, id interdum mauris suscipit pellentesque. Morbi velit eros, accumsan ut faucibus at, viverra id mi. Nunc augue nisl, rutrum vitae luctus nec, lobortis sit amet diam.

http://www.url2go.site/digestingdesign.wordpress.com 12.07.15 at 2:51 pm

I’ve been looking for a post like this for an age